Seven-day Teacher Training Retreat (Level 2)
This seven-day training retreat is an opportunity to deepen and develop the skills and knowledge involved in teaching mindfulness-based approaches. Our time will be spent together in silence as we practise, as well as in small and large groups as we learn interactively, through our individual and collective experience.
Participants will have opportunities to lead practices and investigate personal and co-participants’ experiences of these. Detailed instructor and peer feedback will be offered to support the learning.
This programme is designed to respond to the growing need for mindfulness-based teachers to take their development and learning process deeper. Participants on this programme will have previously participated in a mindfulness-based Teacher Training Retreat Level or equivalent and will have current experience of teaching Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction and/or Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy. Consequently, participants will have moved beyond the first explorations of the form and shape of mindfulness-based programmes and curricula, and will developmentally be at the point of exploring ways to:
- refine existing skills
- further develop understanding of the teaching and its underpinning themes drawn from the different worlds of science and dharma
- inquire into the ‘person of the teacher’ – the way in which each of us relates to ourselves, the individuals, the group and the teaching process itself
A key overall intention is to support participants in developing the ability and confidence to teach from the immediacy of their own experience. This tends to grow out of a depth of experience of the practice, the teaching process and the form of the programme. Developmentally, many teachers find that their confidence of knowing what is needed develops to the point that they can let go of holding the teaching in a certain way and relate to the process from a wider, more spacious and spontaneous place.
Learning will be conducted through:
- facilitated group dialogue
- small group and partner exercises practising and teaching core elements of mindfulness-based programmes
- simulated mindfulness-based group session interactions
- development of personal practice in the context of retreat
The retreat will start with time for orientation and welcome, followed by two days of guided and silent practice within which there will be opportunity for individual interviews with the teachers. The intention of this is to facilitate the transition into and access to a deeper and wider spaciousness of mindful awareness that will inform the developmental processes that will follow.
Pre-requisites for attending:
This further teaching development process is intended for professionals who have:
- completed of one of the following: a mindfulness-based Teacher Training Retreat level 1 (TTR1) with CMRP; the Teaching 1 module on the CMRP Mindfulness-Based Master’s programme; or an equivalent programme with another organisation (contact us if you are not sure about equivalency)
- taught a minimum of three eight-week MBSR or MBCT programmes
- have participated in week-long, guided, silent mindfulness meditation retreats
If you did not take an MBSR/MBCT Teacher Training Retreat Level 1 (TTR1) with the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice (CMRP), we ask that you purchase a CMRP TTR1 resource pack and take time to read and familiarise yourself with this prior to attending the TTR2.
About the trainers:
Our trainers are all members of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice (CMRP) training team. All have been extensively trained in this approach and engage in a rigorous ongoing process of training and supervision. We use strict criteria when selecting teachers/trainers to work with us. The name of the specific trainer(s) for this event is at the top of this page. Just click on the trainer name to find out more about him/her.
About the venue:
Trigonos is located in the village of Nantlle in North Wales between Penygroes and Rhyd Ddu. Caernarfon is the nearest town and Bangor the nearest mainline railway station (West Coast mainline). Please visit the Trigonos website for additional information and directions at http://www.trigonos.org/node/13
Please arrive for 4:00pm on the first day in time for dinner and orientation in the evening. The retreat ends at 2pm on the last day.
What to bring/wear:
Mats, cushions and blankets will be provided. Please bring your own equipment if you prefer.
Loose and comfortable clothing is advisable. Walking boots and wet weather gear will enable you to engage with the beautiful surrounding countryside.
Our rates have no hidden extras and include teaching, deposit (£200.00), room and board.
Standard rate – Single room £1533
Standard rate – Shared room £1470
TTP & CMRP Master’s discount rate – Single room £1446
TTP & CMRP Master’s discount rate – Shared room £1383
Standard Rate – The rate for accessing this training as a ‘stand-alone’ training event and not part of a CMRP teacher training pathway.
TTP & CMRP Master’s discount rate – 10% reduction of the training cost, excluding accommodation, for those currently on the Teacher Training Pathway (TTP) or the CMRP Master’s programme.
Please let us know in the notes section of the application form if you would like to pay a £200 deposit in the first instance and choose the applicable rate in the drop-down list in the application form.
Please note: The majority of our venues have shared bathrooms, including for SINGLE rooms. Please contact us if you have any specific needs that we need to be aware of.
If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid, but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund the difference in cost, to you or your employer.
This course is residential, which means all participants will need to stay at the venue for the duration of the course – this includes the overnight accommodation.
Application and payment process:
Our application and payment process involve the following steps:
- We receive your application form and assess it to ensure that this event is suitable for you. We endeavour to make assessments within a week.
- Upon offering you a place, we will then invoice you either a £200.00 deposit or for the full amount, depending which option you choose when you complete your application.
- Your place is fully confirmed once we receive your deposit or full payment.
- If you selected to pay the deposit only, we will invoice you for the balance three months before the event starts.
- If the full rate for SINGLE accommodation is paid, but we cannot meet your request for a single room due to lack of availability, then we will allocate you SHARED accommodation and refund the difference in cost, to you or your employer.
- We will email you the joining instructions in advance of the course.
Payment and cancellation policy:
Please read our Terms and Conditions for information regarding payments and cancellations.
Please also see the British Association of Mindfulness-Based Approaches (BAMBA) for good practice guidelines and other information for mindfulness-based teachers.
Certificate of Attendance. Please note that we give a Bangor University Certificate of Attendance that details the nature of the course and the hours involved. However, this does not constitute an authorisation to teach mindfulness-based approaches. The development and interest in the potential of mindfulness within a range of settings is rapidly growing and training processes are therefore becoming more structured. Within the UK, though, there are currently no formal qualifications/certification processes which regulate competency in teaching mindfulness-based approaches. This requires those of us working in this developing field to inquire deeply into our own practice, our integrity and our intentions, as well as the boundaries of our skills, competencies and understandings.
Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any questions you may have about the course or whether it is appropriate for you at this time. We will ensure that your query reaches the correct person.